Hyperpigmentation? Fine lines? Sunken, dull appearance? These signs of ageing happen to all of us in varying degrees.
While Mature Skin is most often seen in those aged 35+, it’s not always defined by age. Rather Mature Skin is a combination of the natural ageing process, sun exposure, your genetics (thanks Mum and Dad) and lifestyle factors like stress, sleep quality and diet.
Mature Skin isn’t a skin type but rather a skin condition, and while turning back the clock might not be an option, improving the appearance of ageing skin certainly is!
Which is why we’ve created our Mature Skin Edit - everything you need to know, complete with a 7 Step Skincare Routine to take your skin from sunken and dull to plump and glowy!
What Causes Mature Skin?
There are so many factors that cause mature skin, that really it comes down to the accumulation of life, and its effect on our skin.
As we age our production of collagen (the protein in skin that keeps it plump and firm) and our natural skin cell turnover (the process that reveals new, youthful skin) slows right down.
Add to this our genetics, how much UV exposure and sun damage we continue to have over the course of our lives (UV exposure being the single biggest cause of premature ageing), pollution, lack of sleep, diet and lifestyle choices like smoking or alcohol consumption and the stress of everyday life, and you can see how this is bound to show up on our skin.
But never fear! Mature skin shouldn’t be a burden; it is the natural consequence of the passage of time and can absolutely be supported with your skincare.
How Do I Know If I Have Mature Skin?
Signs of Mature Skin include:
- Drier skin than you used to have
- Skin appears and feels thinner
- Lack of firmness or sunken appearance
- Deep set wrinkles and fine lines, especially around eyes, mouth and forehead
- Skin is easily dehydrated
- Loss of luminosity/glowing skin
- Enlarged, open pores
- Hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
These signs can be supported through your skincare. Stimulating collagen production, ample moisture and regular exfoliation are key to revealing fresh new skin for a more renewed, hydrated and youthful appearance. Products with Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin A, B & C will do the trick - luckily, we have you sorted.
Mature Skin Sins
Not Wearing SPF Everyday
Yes. Everyday. As we mentioned, UV exposure is the single biggest cause of premature ageing. Sun exposure causes wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and sun spots and is the culprit behind 90% of the visible changes to your skin. Of all the anti-ageing products, sunscreen is the single most important one. While you might not be able to reverse the effect the sun has already had on your skin, you can certainly prevent any more damage from occurring. We recommend applying 50+ SPF as the last step of your skincare routine.
Exfoliation is the key to youthful, glowing skin. By removing all those dead skin cells, you help your skin maintain and improve its natural skin cell renewal (you know – that process that slows down as we age). Exfoliating also allows your skincare to penetrate deeper, which means moisturisers, serums, facial oils and creams are much more effective. If you aren’t exfoliating, you are missing out on all these amazing benefits. We recommend exfoliating 1-3 times a week for best results.
Forgetting About Your Décolletage
Our décolletage is one of the first areas to show signs of ageing and skin concerns. The skin around our neck produces less oil than the skin on our face, making it quite delicate and prone to damage. It also receives a high amount of sun exposure, often without the SPF protection we afford to our face. So, always bring your skincare down your neck and décolletage for full coverage.
Your 7 Step Mature Skin Routine
- Cleanse twice daily with our nourishing Cleansing Lotion, perfect for replenishing your skin while thoroughly cleansing it. Formulated with Papaya Extract, this cleanser also has the added benefit of gently breaking down surface dead skin cells giving mature skin types a little extra exfoliation in your routine.
- Exfoliate twice weekly with our AHA Face Exfoliant. This gentle exfoliant not only removes dead skin cells, but also helps boost collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles and stimulate new cell production.
- Instantly hydrate the skin with a spritz of our Rose Water Toning Mist. Properly hydrated skin looks younger, firmer and suppler.
- Apply 6 drops of Glow Serum to a damp face, neck and décolletage for instant hydration and complexion brightening. This Vitamin C rich and skin correcting serum is perfect for reducing hyperpigmentation and achieving a healthy glow.
- Moisturise daily with our Intense Moisture to replenish the skin with much needed oils and hydration. For an added boost, swap to our anti-ageing Night Moisture in the evening and soak in all those benefits as you sleep.
- Hydrate around your eyes with our Eye Cream. This lightweight cream helps moisturise, lift and brighten, softening the fine lines around the eye.
- Finish with our luxurious Renew Serum. Containing Bakuchiol, a natural retinol alternative, you get all the anti-ageing benefits of a retinol without the irritation. This oil-based serum boosts collagen production, increases cell turnover, softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, fades dark spots, improves firmness and elasticity and so much more. Apply 4-6 drops morning and night.
Don’t forget: Apply SPF every morning as the last step in your routine and future proof that beautiful face.