Skin Care Benefits
With its incredible antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties and ability to encourage radiant skin, the pomegranate has been incorporated into skin care; especially anti-aging and sun care products. It can help with a number of skin care issues including dry skin, age spots, hyperpigmentation, acne flare-ups and acne scars.
1. Cell Regeneration. Pomegranates help protect the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin) and helps with skin cell regeneration in the epidermis and dermis (inner layer), increasing circulation and healing the skin, aiding in tissue repair and wound healing.
2. Sun Protection. Pomegranates have sun protective compounds that protect the skin against free radical damage, help prevent skin cancer, relieve sunburn and reduce the signs of sun damage. Pomegranate seed oil works to protect against skin cancer because of ellagic acid, a polyphenol antioxidant found in large quantities in pomegranates, which researchers have found inhibits the growth of skin tumours.
3. Anti-Ageing. Pomegranates protect against premature aging by helping reduce the signs of skin aging caused by sun damage and exposure, such as wrinkles and fine lines. Pomegranates also help prevent hyperpigmentation and age spots.
4. Youthful Skin. Pomegranates promote smooth, firm skin by promoting collagen and elastin production and soften skin.
5. Dry Skin. It is a great ingredient for skin care because its small molecular structure allows it to penetrates deeply into the skin. It works for most skin types, (which depends on the skin care ingredients pomegranate is combined with).
Since pomegranate oil penetrates deeply into the skin, it is effective for treating dry skin. It soothes dry, cracked and irritated skin. It contains punicic acid, an omega 5 fatty acid that hydrates and prevents moisture loss.
6. Oily Skin/Combination Skin. Pomegranate oil even works for oily skin and the use of pomegranate have been beneficial in skin care products for acne prone skin, to combat breakouts, reduce scarring and sooth minor irritations.
For more information: http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/a/The-Skin-Care-Benefits-Of-Pomegranates.htm