Sensitive Skin Edit: Everything You Need To Know!
Red, itchy, burning skin getting you down? It’s likely that you have sensitive skin…and we don’t mean emotionally.
What causes sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin is prone to inflammation. Not only that but it easily reacts to irritants like certain skincare products, ingredients or environmental factors like the weather or the sun. What upsets sensitive skin differs from person to person – which means you have to be extra careful with what you choose to use in your skincare routine.
Therefore, steering clear of products with harsh chemicals, sulphates and parabens is super important! Not only that but it’s important to be aware of personal allergies to avoid any sensitive reactions.
How do I know If I have sensitive skin?
Tell-tale signs you may have sensitive skin:
- Your skin is reactive to certain skincare ingredients or environmental factors like the weather
- Red or blotchy skin.
- You may suffer from rosacea.
- Develop rashes easily which can be dry, flaky or bumpy.
- You only have to look at the sun to get sunburnt!
- Your skin is often dry and easily dehydrated
- Your face can sting, burn or become hot after using certain products
So how do I get rid of sensitive skin?
Unfortunately, it’s not something you can completely get rid of. Rather you need to support your skin through reactions, avoid known irritants and lean towards soothing, calming skincare products. This will keep your skin healthy and protect your acid mantle.
Sensitive Skin Sins
Not spot testing
If you have sensitive skin, it is imperative that you spot test new skincare products before using them. This allows you to understand how your skin will react. To patch test, use a spot that's easily covered. This could include the underside of your jaw, a corner of your forehead, behind your ear or the side of your neck.
Not Wearing SPF
Sensitive skin types burn easily in the sun. Saying that, burnt skin is even more reactive to external factors or skincare products. Which means, wearing sunscreen is an absolute must! We recommend applying SPF every day as the last step in your skincare routine. However, it’s important to know if you're using a chemical or physical sunscreen.
Chemical sunscreens may include ingredients such as oxybenzone (benzophenone-3), dibenzoylmethanes, cinnamates, and benzophenones. These ingredients have been found to irritate sensitive skin.
For sensitive skin types, opt for a physical or mineral sunscreen that features titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. These ingredients won’t cause stinging or irritated skin.
Introducing products too quickly
Do you have a new skincare product or maybe you’ve changed your whole new routine? We get it, it can be super tempting to use them all straight away. But sensitive skin types are extremely susceptible to changes so it is best to introduce new products slowly. Start with one product at a time. Only use it 1-2 times a week at first, and slowly increase use from there.
Saya's simple sensitive skin routine
- Cleanse twice daily with our calming Foaming Cleanser. This hydrating gel cleanser is formulated with Marshmallow, Chamomile and Aloe Vera and is great for brightening, soothing and purifying sensitive skin.
- Apply 4-6 drops of our Glow Serum to face, neck and décolletage. This Vitamin C and Hyaluronic serum is perfect for reducing redness, replenishing skin with hydration and achieving a bright, healthy glow.
- Moisturise daily with our lightweight Balance Moisture to replenish and calm the skin. Perfect for balancing your skin and strengthening the acid mantle.
- Finish with 4-6 drops of our nourishing Renew Serum and apply to your face and neck. With a powerful blend of 15 botanicals this will work with your skin to hydrate, rejuvenate and replenish.
Not sure where to start? Why not check out our Sensitive Skincare collection. We have a collection of cleansers, moisturisers, eye creams and serums - all to suit your sensitive skin. At Saya skincare we’re here to help you take your skin from irritated and red to soothed and healthy!